Which recreational vehicles need separate insurance?

Which recreational vehicles need separate insurance?

What size RV you own determines if you need separate insurance on it or if your auto insurance covers it. Pritchards and Associates Inc. serving Okeechobee, FL wants you to understand the classes of recreational vehicles (RVs) needing recreational insurance. Seven classes of RVs exist in two categories — motorcoaches and towable rigs. Three of these classes are considered self-propelled. That means you can drive the RV itself and use its interior without unhitching it or making adjustments to it. Four of these classes refer to towable rigs, a type of RV that you hitch to your vehicle and tow by driving the vehicle. You must typically unhitch it to use it.

The three classes of motorcoaches are:

  • Class A RVs range in length from 20 to 45 feet and typically sleep about eight passengers,
  • Class B RVs comprise the smallest freestanding RVs and may feature pop-outs that increase interior space once parked,
  • Class C RVs feature a standard truck chassis and a size between the smallest Class As, and the Class Bs.

The four classes of towables are:

  • Pop-up campers/foldable trailers which have canvas sides that you unfold before using the RV,
  • Travel trailers attach to the trailer hitch, but fit onto the vehicle, typically a truck,
  • Toy haulers attach to the trailer hitch and include a traveling garage large enough for an ATV or snowmobile,
  • Fifth wheels require an in-bed truck tow hitch.

You only need a separate RV policy if you drive a Class A, B, or C RV. Any towable gets automatically covered by your auto insurance policy.

Contact Pritchards and Associates Inc. serving Okeechobee, FL to learn more about RV insurance and find the right policy for you. We insure all classes of RV.