Tips for making your home a safer place

Home is where you should feel the safest and yet many of the most serious accidents happen in the home. More than 50% of accidents involving injuries occur in the home. You can mitigate some risks at home with a few simple steps. At Pritchards and Associates Inc. in Okeechobee, FL, we care about our clients. We strive to fulfill their insurance needs with affordable coverage. 

Do a safety check

If you haven’t done one in a while, do a safety check of your home. Look for things that could cause injuries, extension cords, uneven flooring, clutter, and inadequate lighting. Check for any poisonous substances, they should be placed high enough to be out of the reach of any children in the home. 

Change the batteries

Twice a year, change the batteries in your smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors. Many people do it when the time changes since it is an automatic reminder. 

Add a security system

Keeping your home safe these days often includes adding a home security system. You can get a professionally installed, or it can be a DIY project. You can monitor your home with your cell phone. 

Use your locks

You have locks on your doors and on your windows, use them. If you haven’t checked especially your windows in a while, take the time to go room to room and lock them. If you have patio doors, use a bar lock to secure the door. 

Outdoor safety

If you have an outdoor swing set or jungle gym make sure you have adequate padding in the event anyone falls off the equipment. If you have a swimming pool, keep safety fencing secured, and don’t leave any wading pools sitting around with water in them. 

These are just a few things you can do to make your home a safe place. Contact Pritchards and Associates Inc. in Okeechobee, FL if you have any questions about home insurance. 

Which recreational vehicles need separate insurance?

Which recreational vehicles need separate insurance?

What size RV you own determines if you need separate insurance on it or if your auto insurance covers it. Pritchards and Associates Inc. serving Okeechobee, FL wants you to understand the classes of recreational vehicles (RVs) needing recreational insurance. Seven classes of RVs exist in two categories — motorcoaches and towable rigs. Three of these classes are considered self-propelled. That means you can drive the RV itself and use its interior without unhitching it or making adjustments to it. Four of these classes refer to towable rigs, a type of RV that you hitch to your vehicle and tow by driving the vehicle. You must typically unhitch it to use it.

The three classes of motorcoaches are:

  • Class A RVs range in length from 20 to 45 feet and typically sleep about eight passengers,
  • Class B RVs comprise the smallest freestanding RVs and may feature pop-outs that increase interior space once parked,
  • Class C RVs feature a standard truck chassis and a size between the smallest Class As, and the Class Bs.

The four classes of towables are:

  • Pop-up campers/foldable trailers which have canvas sides that you unfold before using the RV,
  • Travel trailers attach to the trailer hitch, but fit onto the vehicle, typically a truck,
  • Toy haulers attach to the trailer hitch and include a traveling garage large enough for an ATV or snowmobile,
  • Fifth wheels require an in-bed truck tow hitch.

You only need a separate RV policy if you drive a Class A, B, or C RV. Any towable gets automatically covered by your auto insurance policy.

Contact Pritchards and Associates Inc. serving Okeechobee, FL to learn more about RV insurance and find the right policy for you. We insure all classes of RV.

What You Need to Know About RV Insurance

RV ownership opens up a whole new world of travel and adventure for families and individuals. Because an RV is a special type of vehicle, regular auto insurance is usually not the best idea. If you have questions concerning RV insurance, we have answers at Pritchards and Associates Inc, serving Okeechobee, FL. Let’s find out what you need to know about RV insurance.

Isn’t Auto Insurance Enough?

Many people think that adding their RV to their regular auto policy will be adequate. The truth is insurance policies specifically designed for RVs provide customized coverage. An RV policy can include protection of personal belongings because when you travel or stay in your RV for an extended amount of time, your personal belongings will be with you. An RV policy can also be paused if you will not be using the RV for extended periods of time during the year. This can save you money on the policy cost. The best way to know which type of policy will work for you and your family will be to sit down with a knowledgeable insurance representative. 

What Do RV Policies Cover?

An RV insurance policy can be customized to suit your individual needs, however, most policies will cover the following general areas:

Collision/Comprehensive- In the event that your RV is involved in an accident, this coverage will pay for repairs or replacement of your RV. 

Liability- If your RV is the cause of an accident that causes injuries to other vehicles or to individuals, this coverage will pay for damages and medical bills which result. 

If you would like to learn more about our insurance products, please contact our office at Pritchards and Associates Inc, serving Okeechobee, FL. We will be very happy to answer your insurance questions and help you pick the best coverage options. 

Do I need a Florida motorcycle insurance plan?

Those that live in the Okeechobee, FL area will want to own a vehicle to ensure they can get around town efficiently. When you are looking for a vehicle to own, getting a motorcycle can be a great option. With a motorcycle, you will have an efficient and fun vehicle to drive. If you do get a motorcycle here, you do need to get insurance. There are several reasons why you need to have this coverage.

Required for Legal Compliance

A reason that a lot of people in Florida need to get motorcycle insurance is that it is required for legal compliance. If you intend to use your motorcycle out on a public road, you will be obligated to carry this protection at all times. The state requires that you have at least a liability insurance plan in place. 

Protection of Assets

For a lot of owners, having a motorcycle insurance plan is also a good idea as it is a great way to protect their assets. If you are going to invest in a motorcycle, it will be an asset that you will want to last for a long time. If it is ever stolen or damaged in an accident and you do not have coverage, you could lose your investment entirely. With a full collision and comprehensive insurance plan, you will be able to repair or replace your motorcycle in these situations. 

If you are looking for motorcycle insurance in the Okeechobee, FL area you should call Pritchards and Associates Inc. The team with Pritchards and Associates Inc. understands the value that this insurance provides. They can then offer you support and guidance that will help you to choose a plan that will meet your needs. This can keep you in legal compliance and protect your assets. 

How Boat Insurance Protects You Off the Water

Boat insurance does not just protect you on the water, you get protected on the road, in dry-dock, moored, etc. as well. Pritchards and Associates Inc. wants you to understand the essential boat insurance coverages so you why boat insurance is so important and you know when to call us to file a claim on your policy.

When you think of boat insurance, you might think of the protection it affords you on the waters around Okeechobee, FL, and wherever you travel. The liability coverage that pays for the medical bills and settlement if someone incurs an injury while on your boat probably springs to mind. You probably also think of the coverage that pays for your boat repairs if hit by another boat.

Boat insurance protects you off of the water, too, though. Let’s say that you keep your boat in dry-dock. A tornado hits the storage facility. Your boat repairs or replacement get covered by the comprehensive coverage component of your boat insurance.

Perhaps, you instead moor your boat in a marina in Okeechobee, FL. A hurricane hits and the storm surge damages your boat. The comprehensive coverage component also covers this damage.

Driving from the dry-dock to the boat ramp, a truck strikes your vehicle and boat trailer, causing damage to all three. Your auto insurance pays for your vehicle and trailer damage, but your collision coverage on your boat insurance covers the damage to your boat.

Pritchards and Associates Inc. wants you to understand the various coverages you can obtain for your boat. A standard policy may not provide all coverages making it even more important to meet with one of our insurance agents to determine what coverage you really need.

Motorcycle Insurance Variables To Consider While Researching Policies

Based in Okeechobee, FL, Pritchards, and Associates Inc. serve the community by offering residents multiple types of insurance coverage. We strive to help our clients find policies that will address their individual needs. We proudly serve as an independent agency, so we are able to offer our clients a wide variety of options.

Motorcycle Insurance Variables

As you ride around Okeechobee, FL during the summer on your motorcycle, consider the benefits of motorcycle insurance. The policy will protect you if you are involved in a collision and damages occur. You are also protected if your motorcycle is vandalized or stolen. You can also add emergency coverage to protect you if you need roadside assistance. While you are researching different motorcycle insurance policies, learn about some of these important variables.

The Motorcycle’s Model

Your motorcycle insurance policy will be impacted by the type of model that you have. If you have a high-end model, you’ll need different coverage compared to if you have a traditional model. Your policy may be impacted by the amount of time that you spend riding your motorcycle.

Engine Size

The size of your engine is another important variable to look at. Your policy may change if your motorcycle has a large engine.


If you have any special accessories on your motorcycle, you may have to amend your policy to cover these items if your motorcycle is damaged or stolen.


In some cases, your policy may be impacted by the locations where you plan to ride your motorcycle. If you are riding your motorcycle in a highly-populated area, the likelihood of an accident is higher than normal. You’ll also want to make sure that you are storing your motorcycle in a secure area when you aren’t using it.

Pritchards and Associates Inc. Will Help You Ride Safely

Visit our website to learn more information about motorcycle insurance.

How could auto insurance protect me in Florida?

When you are in the Okeechobee, FL area, there are a lot of great activities and amenities that you can take advantage of in your immediate area. When you are looking to enjoy this area as much as possible, you need to get a car. With a car, you will be able to get around town much more efficiently. When you do get a vehicle here, you should also get a quality insurance policy as it could protect you in a number of different ways.

Insurance Protects Car

One of the ways that you can be protected by auto insurance in Florida is that it can protect your car. Your vehicle is an important asset that you need to cover as well as possible. When you get auto insurance, you can receive a full collision and comprehensive policy that will protect your asset if it is stolen or damaged. 

Insurance Gives Liability Coverage

Another benefit of auto insurance is that you will receive liability coverage. It is very important to be safe and careful when you are driving. However, accidents do happen from time to time even if you are a safe driver. If you do cause an accident that results in damages, you will have to pay for restitution. With insurance, you can receive liability insurance to protect against this risk. 

When you are looking for a new auto insurance policy in the Okeechobee, FL area, you will want to get guidance and support from someone that you can trust. The team at Pritchards and Associates Inc. can help you choose a policy that will offer you the right type and level of coverage. When you call Pritchards and Associates Inc. the team will assess your personal situation and help you understand all of your needs and insurance options. 

What does flood insurance cover

It is too late to start wondering if you have flood insurance when you have 12 inches of water inside your home. Flood insurance is something you need to think about now. Floods cause more than 40 billion dollars in damage yearly worldwide. It is estimated that as little as one foot of water can cause $25,000 in damage. If you don’t have flood insurance, you could be paying for the damage out of your savings. If you don’t have the savings you may have to delay making repairs. At Pritchards and Associates Inc in Okeechobee, FL, we are independent agents who take the time to get to know our customers. 

Flood insurance is available through the National Flood Insurance Program which is managed by FEMA. It is available through about 50 different insurance carriers. Prices are set depending on risk so they will be the same no matter which carrier you choose. Your insurance agent will be able to recommend carriers who offer great service. 

Two different types of flood insurance are available, building, and contents. They are sold separately and you can buy one or both. Both offer valuable protection. 


Building coverage covers the structure of the home and the foundation. Beyond that, it covers the major system like electric, plumbing, HVAC, and sewer if the failure is a direct result of the flooding. Additionally, it covers built-ins like cabinets and bookcases, major appliances such as your stove, fridge, and dishwasher, and water heater


Content covers your personal possessions, clothing, electronics, furniture, decor, small appliances, washer and dryer, carpets, microwave, and window air conditioner. 

At Pritchards and Associates Inc in Okeechobee, FL, we understand the risks that the state of Florida posses to homeowners and we can help make sure you have the flood insurance that is right for you. For a no-obligation quote give us a call or stop into our office. 

What are the benefits of having health insurance?

If you live in the Okeechobee, FL area, there are a lot of important forms of insurance that you will need to have. When you are looking for a new insurance plan, it is important that you consider your health insurance needs. There are a variety of benefits overall that comes when you get a full health insurance policy.

Ensures Access to Affordable Care

One of the main benefits that come when you get health insurance is that you can receive access to affordable care. Those that have health insurance are going to have access to great preventative care, which includes being able to see a doctor when needed and get affordable prescriptions. With health insurance, you can also receive out of pocket annual costs that can limit your expenses if you are injured or become ill.

Ensures Legal Compliance

You should also get a health insurance policy because it can help to ensure that you will remain in legal compliance. At this point, everyone in the country is mandated to have some form of health insurance coverage. If you do not have this in place, you could face penalization at the end of the year. 

It is very important that you take your health insurance needs in the Okeechobee, FL area seriously. Since picking a policy is complicated, you should look to work with someone that can provide you with guidance and support. The team at Pritchards and Associates Inc. is dedicated to helping their customers understand their insurance options. When you reach out to the team at Pritchards and Associates Inc. you are going to get personalized service. This will help to ensure that you are able to find a plan that fits into your budget and gives you great health coverage. 

What Type of Life Insurance Coverage is Best for Me?

If you’re younger and in your 20’s or 30’s, you may not think too much about life insurance. Maybe you’re in your 50’s and 60’ and are starting to consider changing your policy or coverage. Whatever the case may be, you can learn about the different types of life insurance coverage and what’s best for you with Pritchards and Associates Inc. 

Different Types of Life Insurance

The land of life insurance can be confusing for some, but Pritchards and Associates Inc. wants to make it easy. Here are the different types of coverage: 

  • Term Life Insurance: This is one of the more popular options. This has a set expiration date and is usually cheaper than other coverage options. 
  • Whole Life Insurance: This insurance type is permanent and has a cash value. These are usually more expensive and are used with people who have families. 
  • Universal Life Insurance: This is much like whole life insurance, but you can change the death benefit amount and premium without having to change policies. 
  • Variable Life Insurance: Similar to whole life insurance, this type of life insurance has a cash value. However, the cash value is usually dispersed into something like the stock market to allow for potential growth and returns. However, you could also lose money as well. 
  • Variable Universal Life Insurance: Essentially, this insurance type is a solid combination of the aspects of variable life insurance and whole life insurance. 
  • Simplified Issue Life Insurance: With this type of insurance, you don’t need to go through a medical exam to determine to find out how risky you are to insure. Instead, you would fill out a health questionnaire. 
  • Guaranteed Issue Life Insurance: This type of insurance doesn’t require a medical exam or questionnaire to determine your insurance risk. As long as you can pay the premium, you’re insured. 
  • Final Expense Life Insurance: This insurance type covers the cost of anything associated with your death, including medical and funeral costs. 
  • Group Life Insurance: This is usually an employer-provided life insurance policy that will either be whole or term.  

Find Out Which Coverage is Best for You 

To find out which coverage is best for you, contact Pritchard’s and Associates Inc. Their office is located in Okeechobee, FL, but you can contact them online for a consultation on coverage.